Animalfarm's DIY List
This page is dedicated to the memory of Greg Fitts (1960-2012) also known as "Animalfarm" on the Official Epiphone Forums website. Greg was a motivating factor, inspiration and all around consultant in the run-up to creating the Epiphone Wiki. Without his encouragement, ideas and kind words, this wiki might not even exist at all. Greg passed away on January 15, 2012, one day after his birthday and coincidently, one day after the Epiphone Wiki's 1st anniversary.
Prior to his passing, Greg was working diligently on compiling a list of DIY realated guitar links for pretty much anything imaginable. From set-ups to comparisons to builds. If it was guitar related, it was included in his links. Below is an excerpt from the original forum post and Greg's list in its entirety. Its a long list, but there is certainly something in there for everyone. We are proud to give Greg's work permanent residence on the Epiphone Wiki.
Just an attempt to start putting info and links into a single place for semi-quick reference. This way of doing it will have its flaws, but it's a beginning. There will ALWAYS be more references, and any good DIY-er will do lots of research. Info/Sub-topics will be added as needed. If you don't see the answer you're looking for, check the Tech Tip Archives at the bottom. If necessary, start a seperate thread. We'll see what we can do...
POSTING IMAGES & VIDEO (on the Gibson/Epiphone Forums)
- Posting pictures on EPI Forum - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/53931
- How to Post Photos - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005
- Posting pictures using Imageshack (Tutorial in 5 steps) -http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/56204
- How to Embed Audio and Video (It's really Easy!) -http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/70254
THE UNOFFICIAL EPIPHONE GUITARS WIKI
- http://www.epiphonewiki.com - A SUPERMARKET of I.D. & Model Information for Epiphone Guitars
EPIPHONE TRUSS RODS - Single AND Dual Action
- (pulled the link until this issue is resolved)
EPIPHONE GUITAR & BASS CASES - Complete List
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/74500 - Factory Case Model Number appears after Guitar Model
EPIPHONE E-SERIES, STRAT and TELECASTER Specifications Guide
- http://epiphone.3house.com - Thanks to RTH for the WORK involved!
EPIPHONE CASINO CROSS REFERENCE (and Similar Style Guitars) NEW and IMPROVED!
EPIPHONE ELITE Series 2003 Catalog (pdf format)
- http://www.jedistar.com/pdf/Epiphone_elite_catalog_2003.pdf - Thanks to Ricochet for topic, jerrymac and Red 333 for link!
VINTAGE GUITAR/BASSES/AMP/EFFECTS Specs and Data (Many, many, many!)
- http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk - Click on category at Top of home page, find brand, click on "Full Index"
VINTAGE EPIPHONE GUITARS - General Information and Specifications
- http://home.provide.net/~cfh/epiphone.html - Pictures, History, Specs...
EPIPHONE STRING GAUGES - (pdf format chart)
- http://www.epiphone.com/images/StringGauges.pdf - As installed at Factory
FOR ACOUSTIC GUITAR PLAYERS
ACOUSTIC GUITAR Repairs, Adjustments, Maintenance
- http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/acoustic-guitar/action.php - Acoustic guitar action
- http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html#Special - Scroll to TOP of page, then begin, search. TOPICS GALORE!!!
GUITAR PROJECTS and BUILDS
LUTHIER TOOLS ON THE CHEAP!!!
GUITAR/LUTHIER Tools and SECRET TIPS for CHEAPSKATES!
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/68044 - Why spend high dollar if you don't have to?
STEWMAC TRADE SECRETS ARCHIVE - Overview of MANY, MANY types of Projects
- http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/archive - Worth a peek, it's a good read!
CLEAN/OIL FRETBOARD and POLISH YOUR FRETS!!!
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/54572 - May help get rid of that "Rough Feeling" you get when bending notes
POLISH YOUR FRETS and DYE YOUR FRETBOARD!!!
- http://www.sevenstring.org/8862 - DYE your Nasty-Looking Fretboard!
- http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm - A discussion of Fretboard Treatments and Darkening
2009 Project Tele Fret Job Pics
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/47926 - Doing your OWN Fret Job!
My First Fret Level was a Success!
- http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1439881 - Long post, lots of pics
NGD, Xaviere XV-560 Take 2
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/65795 - Includes FRET LEVELLING pics/commentary!
REMOVE/REPLACE YOUR GUITAR NUT
Pick Your NUT(S):
Remove Your Guitar Nut
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ajA_TsU2c - Excellent VIDEO Tutorial
Replacing Guitar Nut
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/77287 - By Big Neil
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/77220 - By Willy
Emergency Guitar Nut Repairs
PROJECTS and BUILDS
Making your Neck a BOLT-ON instead of a "Screw on" (Step-by-step)
Whitmore Willy's $20.00 BEATER GUITAR Refurbishment Series (Grab some INSPIRATION!)
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/76822 - Beater Guitar Part 1 (Testing Pic Resolution)
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/76854 - Beater Guitar Part 2 (Tuner Upgrade)
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/76896 - Beater Guitar Part 3 (Fretboard, Dirt, and Dent Removal)
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/76958 - Beater Guitar Part 4 (Wrap yer head around a Tailpiece)
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/77220 - Beater Guitar Part 5 (Nuttin' Honey!)
Bender's "SOUTHERN BAD-ASS" TELE BUILD
ES-335/SEMI HOLLOWBODY Electronics Removal and Installation
1970's NORLIN LES PAUL REFURBISHMENT THREAD
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/67050 - Nitro Drop-fill, Make your own pots, rebuild your 3-way, etc.
Upgrading EPI LP Special II to Hot Humbuckers/step-by-step tutorial
Install P-90 Pickups in Epi G-400 with FULL Bat-Wing Pickguard - Video Series
- http://www.lollarguitars.com/p90-pickup-installation - Videos 4-7 have EXCELLENT tutorials for soldering components/Pups like a PRO!
Speaking of Juniors - UPGRADES COMPLETE!
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/56623 - EPI Les Paul Junior MOD
Custom/Hand-Built GOLDTOP with single P-90 and Compensated Wrap-around Bridge
2009 Project Tele Guitar Build
1970's HONDO II Refinish Project
Epiphone Casino Project
1st Headstock Repair - FINISHED!
Killer Tele Neck nearing Completion
Stripped 6832 Acoustic Neck Pics
Stripping a GoldTop
Epiphone Special - Rescued and Refinished
Face-to-Face with my crack - FINISHED& - LP Special II Refinish
Modding an SG Special II
GUITAR SET-UP/TRUSS ROD ADJUSTMENT
If you have ANY doubts, take to local pro!
Truss Rod Cannot adjust further, Neck STILL has Frontbow!!!
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/75865 - Creative Solution - Sometime you just HAVE a problem Neck
Gibson Repair Columns - Basic Guitar Set-Up
Adjusting a Truss Rod
Gibson Les Paul: Electric Guitar Set-Up: VIDEO SERIES
Basic Lessons on How to Set-UP a Solid Body Guitar
Basic Guitar Set-Up Tips
Adjusting Truss Rod
Truss Rod is LOOSE inside of Neck
GUITAR HUM/BUZZ/SCRATCHY VOL or TONE POTS FROM GUITAR
Are you using the thin, unshielded git cable that came with your guitar? Replace it with a Decent SHIELDED cable FIRST, may solve Hum/Buzz problem!
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxXra9UN - Dealing with Ground Noise Problems
- http://www.300guitars.com/300s-tips/300-tip-how-to-clean - How to keep them CLEAN
Clean Scratchy-Sounding Pots
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php/topic/52017 - Crackling while turning Vol/Tone Pots
Clean Scratchy-Sounding Pots/Try if you've got Big BRASS Cajones
- http://www.michaelshell.org/fixingscratchypots - For when you just want to rip 'em apart!
Bad Solder Joint and/or Broken Wire?"
- http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/58901 - YES, it happens...
GUITAR PICKUP INFO
"REMOVE Humbucker Covers"
- De-Solder Method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaL1ZMGNerk
- Dremel Tool Method/Note Steps 2 thru 6: "How to change out a Humbucking Bar Magnet"
"INSTALL Humbucker Covers"
- Solder Method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp7hAqmzecA
"Easy P-90 hum cancelling mod" - Simple mod
"The "Peter Green Mod" on a Humbucker" - Brief overview
The "Peter Green Mod" on a Humbucker - WITH PICS"
OTHER PICKUP INFORMATION
"Taming MUDDY-SOUNDING Pickups - A Quick Fix. TRY it, you'll LIKE it!"
"How to read Pickup Values while pups STILL in Guitar, and MORE!!!"
"Various/Popular Manufacturer Guitar/Bass 4-Wire Humbucker Color Code Diagrams"
"Epiphone Pickups Specification/Description List"
"Gibson Pickup Data/Description Sheet - PDF Format"
"Gibson/Epiphone Pickups DC Resistance Values"
(Thank you Ricochet for compiling this data!)
POTENTIOMETER and CAPACITOR INFO
"Frequently Asked Questions"
"Potentiometers - How they WORK, Disassembly and Exploration."
"Pot Values and HOW they affect TONE"
(Thanks Swoop for pulling this out of Tech Tip Archives!)
"Comparing LINEAR/AUDIO Taper POTS - Arrrgh! Which One do I choose???"
"Capacitor Values and HOW they affect TONE"
"VARITONE Potentiometers - How do they work, What do they do Tonally to Guitar?"
GUITAR WIRING DIAGRAMS
"3 way switch in middle, turn one volume down, BOTH pup outputs go down. Wanna know why? Also Independent Volume Control wiring..."
"Git Mods, Wiring Articles, FAMOUS Git Wiring - May, Clapton, Hendrix, Beck, Page, Stevie Ray - Move pointer across top, look at Drop down boxes"
"Seymour Duncan Site - Humbuckers, Tele, Strat, Bass, Others - Too many to list!"
"GuitarElectronics Site - 1 pup, 2 pup, 3 pup, Custom, Mods, Factory diagrams, FAQs, etc"
"GIBSON and EPIPHONE Instrument and Amplifier Schematic Library"
"GIBSON Les Paul and Flying V Wiring Diagrams - Wiring Library"
EPIPHONE Thunderbird Pro IV & V BASS Wiring Diagram
"Add Push-Pull Switch (Thanks brianh...)"
BASIC GUITAR PAINTING PRIMER
"Paint Your Own Guitar" Book Series:
"Guitar Painting Tutorial, Parts 1 - 10, with Pics:"
"Finishing and Refinishing Tips"
"Dupli-Color Paint Site - Custom Painted guitars" (Look thru Success Stories)
"Krylon Site - Custom Painted Guitars"
REMOVE SCRATCHES FROM GUITAR CLEARCOAT
"Scratches on the Finish"
"Fine Scratching in Clearcoat"
HOW TO "DULL" (OR) "SHINE BACK" A POLY GUITAR FINISH
"Dulling Poly Finished Guitars - Pic Heavy"
"Shining Back Up a Dulled Poly Finish"
LASER CUT LUTHIER TEMPLATES FOR BUILDING YOUR OWN GUITAR
(Many designs incuding Gibson/Epi)
***FABRICATE YOUR OWN PICKGUARD !!!
"Make a Pickguard for Epiphone LP Special II Guitar"
"Pickguard Fabrication Tutorial - PART 1"
(Thanks, BrianH! Done for Rickenbacker, but works for any Brand!)
"Pickguard Fabrication Tutorial - PART 2"
(Thanks, BrianH! Done for Rickenbacker, but works for any Brand!)
MISCELLANEOUS CR@P YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW
"GUITAR TUNING TRICK" (Try it, you'll LIKE it!)
"FREE GUITAR BACKING TRACKS" - From GuitarBacking Tracks.com!!!
"FREE SONG LYRICS" - from Sing365.com!!!!
"TUNE UP YOUR GEARS/TUNERS": (pictures of various tuners and commentary)
"Having Trouble with BARRE CHORDS?"
How to play "PINCH HARMONICS:
Adding VIBRATO to BENDS:
GUITAR TUNING NIGHTMARES - Explained!
Codemonk's How To Make Your Own Printed Ciruit Board Tutorial - "Adventures in ALCHEMY!"
DESIGN YOUR OWN GUITAR
(for fun or ideas)
GUITAR TECH TIP ARCHIVES
(Many, many topics!!!! RESEARCH CENTRAL!)